At the Hive Café Solidarity Cooperative, sustainability is embedded in the core of the organization’s vision, mission, and values . This student-run cooperative addresses sustainability not only through small meaningful conscientious initiatives, but by providing an alternative food option that addresses sustainability at a systemic level. The economic and social structures that govern our world are often oppressive and non-inclusive of it’s constituents. At the Hive Café Co-op we strive to provide an alternative to these structures.
Ways we are socially sustainable:
- we are a Solidarity Cooperative and thus our User Members, Worker Members, and Support Members all have representation on our Board of Directors
– All Co-op members have an equal vote at our Annual General Assemblies;
– we strive to create a non-hierarchical culture and empower the worker members to have a say and representation on the operations of the cafe through worker member meetings;
– we work in collaboration with other sustainable food groups on campus and community organizations;
– we do not work or buy products from organizations that are socially irresponsible, oppressive, racist, sexist, classist, and work with organizations that are in line with our values.
Ways we are environmentally sustainable:
– we strive to purchase produce and products that are healthy, locally produced, organic and seasonal when possible;
– we purchase compostable disposable items;
– we compost and recycle to lower our landfill waste output;
- we incentivize people who bring their own mugs;
- we do not collaborate with suppliers who are environmentally exploitive;
Ways we are economically sustainable:
-we abide by fair labour practices;
-we reevaluate our prices to ensure we are providing responsible products at an affordable price;
-we operate as a non-profit cooperative;
-we are financially self-sustaining.